Servicing Appliances After Floods
In May 2016, the Houston area was battered by two massive storms, unleashing an astonishing 15 to 20 inches of rainfall in each occurrence. These deluges posed a grave threat to numerous homes, exposing them to the risk of devastating flood damage. Homeowners must understand the importance of protecting their washers, dryers, and other vital appliances from water-related harm, especially considering that this was the sixth major flood in Southeast Texas since May 2015. Appliance Cowboys can be relied upon to provide expert guidance on proactive measures before a flood and offer reliable assistance to ensure your appliances’ utmost safety and preservation in the aftermath. Rest easy knowing your appliances are in capable hands.
Preparing Your Appliances for an Emergency: Taking Steps to Safeguard Your Devices
The best way to protect your washer and dryer is by installing them on a platform that can keep them above most water damage. Many manufacturers sell platforms for their brand of appliances that raise the equipment about 15 inches above the ground. The platform provides a storage drawer, while the height can protect your washer and dryer from damage from most storms. As commercially available platforms cost $300 or more each, you may consider building one yourself.
Another way to protect your appliances is to have them on the second floor. While installing plumbing and securing the floor can be costly, you can feel secure that your appliances will be protected. With your bedrooms upstairs, having the laundry on the same level adds convenience that many homeowners enjoy in any weather. While making this change, you might also consider moving your electrical box to higher ground.
Call Appliance Cowboys After Water Damage
If your home has been flooded due to a recent water incident, you may understandably have concerns about the safety of your appliances once the water recedes. Although your appliances may appear safe at first glance, thoroughly inspecting and evaluating them by a reputable appliance service company, such as Appliance Cowboys, is strongly recommended. Their expert technicians possess the necessary expertise and knowledge to carefully assess the condition of your appliances and ensure their safety and optimal functionality in the aftermath of a flood. Don’t take any chances regarding the well-being of your appliances and the overall safety of your home. Trust the professionals to provide you with the necessary guidance and assistance to address any potential issues.
You should take the following steps for your safety:
- It is crucial to proceed with caution to ensure the safety of disconnecting the breaker that controls the appliance. Before unplugging the appliance, take the necessary precautions and confirm that the power is turned off to prevent any potential shock hazards that may pose a risk. By exercising diligence and being mindful of this essential step, you can effectively minimize any potential dangers associated with the process of disconnecting the breaker.
- If your power is off, unplug the appliances. Even if the power returns, do not plug in the appliance or turn it on until a competent service person checks it.
- Have Appliance Cowboys check out all the mechanical parts of the appliance and lubricate all door hinges, bearings, and other moving parts to prevent rust.
- Be prepared to have the motor reconditioned or replaced, along with the wiring.
- Be aware that if the appliance has experienced water damage, its life expectancy may be reduced.
- After servicing, sanitize your washer by running disinfectant through a 15-minute cycle followed by hot water rinse and wipe down the dryer with a cloth dipped in disinfectant. Leave the dryer door open overnight to prevent rust formation.
Whether you have experienced the devastation of being a storm victim, finding your washer overflowing with water, or facing the nuisance of hoses coming out of the drain, you must prioritize your safety by adhering to these recommended procedures. Doing so can effectively mitigate risks and safeguard yourself from potential harm. Remember, taking precautions is always worth it regarding your well-being.
Need Appliance Repair in Houston? We’ve Got You Covered!
If your home has been flooded, it’s essential to know that other appliances, such as your refrigerator, freezer, stove, and dishwasher, are also susceptible to water damage. This means that not only can your living spaces be affected, but your everyday appliances may also require attention. Following the abovementioned procedures to address the flooding and its aftermath, you can take necessary steps to mitigate any potential damage. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact the reliable experts at Appliance Cowboys, who specialize in handling appliance-related issues caused by flooding.
Appliance Cowboys has served the community for years with high-quality repair on all makes and models of household appliances. When you need service, call us at (713)-391-4475